The spirit of this document is to uphold the mission and core values of Assistance League® of Los Angeles (“The League”). Thank you in advance for carefully reading the following policies. Your signed Membership Application Form and dues payment serve as acknowledgement and consent of the following four policies:
1) Release and Waiver of Liability, 2) Photo Release, 3) Agreed Upon Conduct, and 4) Conflict of Interest.
1) Release and Waiver of Liability
This Release and Waiver of Liability is executed in favor of the League, and its Auxiliaries, Directors, Officers, Employees and Agents.
Indemnity & Release- I do hereby indemnify and hold harmless and release and forever discharge the League from any and all liability, claims, demands, and causes of action of whatever kind or nature, either in law or equity, which may hereafter arise from my participation with the League and/or any program, activity or event sponsored, managed, arranged, or promoted by, or otherwise affiliated or associated with the League.
I understand and acknowledge that this Release discharges the League from any liability or claim that I may have against any of them with respect to any bodily or other injury, illness, death or property damage that may result from my participation. I also understand that the League does not assume any responsibility or obligation to provide financial assistance or other assistance, including but not limited to, medical, health, or disability insurance, in the event of injury, illness, death or property damage.
Insurance- I understand that the League may elect to provide group accident or other liability insurance for the benefit of its volunteers. Except to the extent that it may provide such insurance, the League does not carry or maintain any insurance coverage for the benefit of its members or volunteers, and expressly disclaims any responsibility or obligation to do so. As a volunteer I am expected and encouraged by the League to maintain all applicable insurance coverage for my own protection.
Medical Treatment- Except as otherwise agreed to by the League, in writing, I hereby release and forever discharge the League from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action whatsoever that may arise on account of first aid or other medical treatment rendered during my participation with the League and/or any program, activity, or event sponsored, managed, arranged or promoted by, or otherwise affiliated or associated with the League.
Assumption of Risk- I understand that my participation with the League and/or any program, activity or event sponsored, managed, arranged or promoted by, or otherwise affiliated or associated with the League may include activities that may be hazardous to me. I hereby expressly and specifically assume the risk of injury or harm in the activities and release the League from all liability for injury, illness, death and/or property damage that may result.
Other- I expressly understand and agree that this Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by law, and that this Release shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California. I agree that in the event that any clause or provision of this Release shall be held to be invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such clause or provision shall not otherwise affect the remaining provisions of this Release.
2) Photo Release
I hereby consent to the taking of photographs, films, videotape, digital recording, quotations, and the employment of any devices, mechanical or otherwise, for the reproduction of my image. The said photographs or otherwise reproduced images hereby consented to may be used in any book, brochure, magazine, paper, lecture, motion picture, television broadcast, advertisement, poster, billboard, website, social networking site or any other type of publication or publications at such times and in such places without restriction as the League shall determine or permit, and the undersigned waives every claim for compensation.
3) Agreed Upon Conduct
Members and volunteers shall abide by the following when engaging in activities of the League. Any activity of a member or volunteer that disrupts the well-being of the organization, hampers its work or injures its good name will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
Conduct League business and activities in the best interest of the League, in a positive, respectful, inclusive, collegial, and confidential manner
Support the mission, vision, and core values of the League and other League members
Support League by ensuring at least one auxiliary chair attends Founders Day and Annual meetings
Support Auxiliary by purchasing tickets to annual fundraising events/ supporting major philanthropic effort
Use the name and logo of the League in accordance with the guidelines issued by the League
Accept that all contractual agreements are the responsibility of the League Administrative Office
Follow the policies, directives and decisions of the Board of Directors, as the elected governing body of the League
Abide by all federal, state and local regulations as applicable to League programs, services and nonprofit status
Discriminate and disrespect ethnic, national, cultural, sexual and physical differences
Engage in inappropriate verbal, written and/or email communications about League business, members, or policies
Copy, reproduce, transmit, or divulge proprietary information, including the League roster
Make commitments or sign contracts on behalf of the League except in accordance with established League policies
Give direction to staff unless the staff’s immediate supervisor and/or the CEO approve such direction
Give gifts of any sort to staff without prior approval of the Board President or CEO
4) Conflict of Interest Policy
The purpose of this policy is to protect the League’s interests when it is contemplating entering into a transaction or arrangement that might benefit the private interests of any person serving on the Board of Directors, any voting or non-voting member, any employee and any non-member volunteer acting as an agent of the League. This policy is intended to supplement, but not replace, any applicable state and federal laws governing conflicts of interest applicable to nonprofit and charitable organizations. Please contact the League if you need additional information about Conflict of Interest definitions.
– No member of the League shall derive any personal profit or gain, directly or indirectly, by reason of his or her participation with the League. Each individual shall disclose to the League any personal interest which he or she may have in any matter pending before the League and shall refrain from participation in any decision on such matter. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing contained herein shall preclude the League from entering into a transaction with a member owned business, or a business that a member has an interest in directly or indirectly, for the provision of services or goods to the League provided that: (i) the members interest is disclosed; (ii) the quality of the services or goods supplied is equal to or superior to that offered by other vendors in the judgment of the League; and (iii) the price for the services or goods supplied is equal to or less than the price offered by another vendor for the same services or goods.
– Any member of the League who is a member of a borrower organization or a loan applicant agency shall identify his or her affiliation with such agency; further, in connection with any credit policy committee or board action specifically directed to that agency, he/she shall not participate in the decision affecting that agency and the decision must be made and/or ratified by the full board.
– Any member of the League shall refrain from obtaining any list of the League’s members and/or clients for personal or private solicitation purposes at any time.
I certify that I am not now nor at any time during the past year have been:
1) A participant, directly or indirectly, in any arrangement, agreement, investment, or other activity with any vendor, supplier, or other party doing business with the League which has resulted or could result in personal benefit to me, except as permitted above.
2) A recipient, directly or indirectly, of any salary payments or loans or gifts of any kind or any free service or discounts or other fees from or on behalf of any person or organization engaged in any transaction with the League.
Thank you for your continued support and for being a proud member of Assistance League® of Los Angeles.
A legacy of serving Los Angeles children for nearly 100 years.